Saturday, May 15, 2010

A broad scope

Last month I highlighted an article written about an Annapolis resident who was trying her hand at mixed martial arts. Whether or not the two women I'm about to shine the spotlight on next read this article or not is unknown, but the Carroll County Times in Westminster recently wrote about two Maryland women who are trying their hand at MMA as well.

The two are training at Shaddock MMA in Eldersburg and one of the women featured in the article in particular, Nancy Cook, mentions how she got started in MMA and her path sounds similar to my own. In the article she says she "immediately fell in love" with MMA after watching a UFC event, which is basically how I became a big fan of MMA.

The other woman in the article, Bernice Parson, says in the piece she figured MMA training would be a good way to get in shape, which is also something I have given a lot of thought to. I am seriously thinking about taking a MMA class at a local gym in an effort to get in better shape. I have been going to a regular gym for about a year and while I have seen some results, I feel like there is more I can do to challenge myself to get in better shape.

But to me, this article once again speaks to the broad impact MMA has and will continue to have. Whether it becomes a love affair or just something to whip yourself into shape, MMA's scope continues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment