Thursday, May 27, 2010

Taking the plunge

I'm diverting from my usual format of highlighting something from a Maryland gym or tackling a similar subject and instead sharing a personal decision.

For a while I have talked about taking a mixed martial arts fitness class at a local gym. Well I have finally put my money where my mouth is and starting June 22 I will enroll in the "Primal Skills" MMA fitness class at the Evolve Academy in Gaithersburg.

I previously took a tryout class at this gym last summer, by virtue of winning a drawing for a free membership. I took the class and while I was a little overwhelmed (mostly because my utter lack of coordination and flexibility was on display; seriously, I am about as flexible as plywood), I did enjoy it but did not follow up on it because at that time, I was still getting adjusted to my job and felt that I could not devote the time and commitment something as disciplined as MMA requires.

But now I feel like I am in a better place and ready to commit to this. Plus I am wanting to find new ways to get in shape, since I have been going to a regular gym for about a year and while it has paid dividends, I would be lying if I said it hasn't started to feel a little monotonous.

As my education in MMA continues, I am looking forward to some hands-on experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment