Monday, May 3, 2010

With a little help from my friends

I covered a mixed martial arts in Pikesville last week. But rather than write a comprehensive review of the event, like I did with Shogun Fights II in Baltimore in March, I will just go ahead and provide a direct link to the review, which I wrote for another site, Mid-Atlantic Combat Sports. It can be found here.

I wrote the review with my friend Erin Morgan, a very intelligent and knowledgeable person when it comes to martial arts and who herself has studied the art for quite a long time.

In lieu of my own review, I will provide a few observations I gathered while attending the event, Cage Time Mixed Martial Arts:

- There was a good-sized crowd for the event. Obviously not as big as Shogun Fights, but then again Cage Time MMA took place in an armory and not an arena.

- There was a group of very cute girls there who were doing promotional work for some company called Istanblue Vodka and one of those girls was wearing a top that was painted on; it was not an actual piece of clothing. I just felt the need to point that out.

- Only the last two fights went beyond the first round. I'm not sure what that says about the fighters. Either most of them were very amped-up and just came out swinging and looking to finish early or some of the fighters had sloppy form or technique that ended up costing them the fight early.

- Either way, the enthusiasm of the fighters was very evident, especially during the fights between Jeremy Miller and Tom Desmond and Stephen Franklin and Matthew Dean. Miller finished Desmond early but those two guys just came out swinging. Dean came up short against Franklin but displayed tremendous heart.

A few fighters who competed at Shogun Fights II were also on the Cage Time MMA card, including Jacob Kirwan, Elijah Harshbarger, Joe Stripling and Brian Van Hoven. Kirwan, Harshbarger and Stripling all won their fights early while Van Hoven was in one of the fights that actually went beyond the first round. Van Hoven fought valiantly but lost by unanimous decision to Michael A. Santiago.

In addition to thanking Erin for her help in putting our review together, I also want to extend kudos to my boy Kramer for coming along to the event and to John Meyer for taking some awesome photos. John is a freelance photographer and more of his work can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment