Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bringing the belt back home

He's not quite the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy", but unlike Tito Ortiz, Ravon Dixon can call himself a titleholder.

The "Charm City Bad Boy" won the 155-pound title from Jason Harmon at the Onslaught Fights show earlier this month in Virginia. It's nice to see Harmon display enough class and sportsmanship to pose for a photo with the man who took his title, but I can't get over that shiner Harmon is sporting. Ouch.

In unrelated news, my experience in the Primal Skills mixed martial arts class at Evolve Academy in Gaithersburg continues. I did a lot of the same drills in my second class as my first one but there were also some new drills introduced, and I had the privilege of Master Mike Moses, the gym's owner, conduct my class.

Unfortunately my coordination is still not where I want it to be; though a better statement might be that I have no coordination to speak of. I'm struggling when shooting in for a takedown attempt, as my brain and the rest of my body just don't seem to be on the same page when it comes to that.

I am keeping in mind that this is only my second real time even attempting any MMA exercises, whereas the other people in the class have probably been doing it for much longer. Fortunately the other students and instructors and Master Mike have been nothing but encouraging so far, which definitely helps. But I'm slowly getting more confident in my strikes, knees and leg kicks, so I guess it's important to focus on the things I do well while continuing to improve on other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment