Saturday, August 7, 2010

Taking the plunge

Stop me if you've heard this before: I'm going to take a mixed martial arts fitness class.

I know I've talked about that at length for the last few months. But today, I finally put my money where my mouth is and did it. Evolve Academy in Gaithersburg has a class, Primal Skills, which owner Mike Moses described as "fitness with an attitude" in a feature article I wrote about MMA in Maryland as part of my full-time job.

I have long been interested in taking the class but each time I had decided I was finally going to do it, something came up that forced me to take a step back and reassess (timing, cost, etc.). But I finally decided that it was time to put up or shut up and that if I was truly passionate about doing this and fully committed to getting in better shape, this was going to be a great help in accomplishing that.

I can say without hesitation that I have never had a more intense workout in my life. For one hour me and three other guys rotated in during a variety of MMA-inspired drills, including combinations of punches, kicks and knees. I swung a sledgehammer into a giant truck tire, swung a medicine ball tied to a rope back and forth and worked my body in ways I hadn't done before.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the workout. I was drenched in sweat when it was over and one guy in the class who realized it was my first day told me that a lot of people in my position would have quit before it was over and gave me credit for seeing it through to the end, which really made me feel good.

I'm hopeful I can take advantage of the class on all three days that it is offered. This was definitely the workout I envisioned in a sport that I'm still learning my way around but so far enjoy on a pretty big scale.

1 comment:

  1. It was terrific having you in class Chris! By chance, you were thrown into a class with guys who had been training with us in Primal Skills since the first of the year....and you held your own! You demonstrated how this class can be taken by all people, regardless of fitness level, and did so under a more extreme circumstance:). You did awesome! I look forward to seeing you next week in class!

    Melissa
    Evolve Staff

    ReplyDelete