Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Explanation

No, I'm not ripping off sports columnist Jason Whitlock's dramatic exit from the Kansas City Star. I'm instead going to try and explain why I decided to give up on something I had been looking forward to for so long and spent an ample amount of time talking up.

For the longest time I wanted to take part in the "Primal Skills" mixed martial arts fitness class at Evolve Academy in Gaithersburg. I finally had the chance last month and like I wrote about in previous blog posts, it was the best workout experience of my life. It was intense. It was hard. It was fast. It was refreshing and exciting. It was everything I expected it to be.

So why did I decide to stop? It wasn't because I didn't think I could handle it. Truth be told, I was a little overwhelmed after the first session but the instructors and other guys in the class were incredibly encouraging and supportive. They recognized it was my first time doing something that intense and one guy even made a point to give me credit for sticking through it and telling me that most guys in my position would have quit before it was over.

I guess that's what bothers me the most. I feel like I let those guys down. I decided to stop going because simply, I couldn't afford it. Over the past few months my bills have gone up as my expenses increase beyond what I thought they would be. Unfortunately I inherited my father's tendency to try and be stringent with money and decided to cut back on any unnecessary luxuries. I know most people would not consider fitness a luxury but I'm still keeping my regular gym membership, which doesn't cost as much as the Primal Skills class.

I'm hopeful I can return to Evolve and Primal Skills before long. I'm trying to put myself in a position to improve my financial standing and hopefully find a better-paying job so I can reduce my debt and be able pursue opportunities like Primal Skills. It was everything I imagined it would be and the sooner I can get back to it, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment