Monday, December 13, 2010

So, you wanna be a fighter?

More often than not, when someone who aspires for greater things sees that very thing they want to do on TV or read it in a book or read about it on the internet, they think to themselves "I can do that". It's human nature to think something that we see or read sounds a lot easier than it actually is.

But when it comes to mixed martial arts, as with many things, it really is not any easier than it actually is. In some cases, it's much harder. Evolve Academy in Gaithersburg has applied that philosophy by recently holding fighter try-outs.

Having participated in some form of MMA training at Evolve myself, I can safely say that if you think you can waltz in there and think you can be the next Georges St. Pierre in no time flat, you are SORELY mistaken. Fortunately, I think most who follow MMA and have an interest in doing it know that it takes an overwhelmingly tremendous amount of dedication, mental toughness and hard work.

I've been in touch with Evolve's promotions person, Melissa Snider, and she e-mailed to me that about 20 guys came out for the try-outs, a number that was soon whittled down to 15. Honestly, I'm surprised the number is even that high. I would have thought the number would never go higher than maybe half that.

Evolve only holds try-outs once a year, Melissa tells me, in preparation of events like these. Luckily aspiring fighters receive top-notch training so they don't go into a tournament with an over-inflated sense of their own abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment