Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hulk smash

The old line with Bruce Banner before he transforms into The Incredible Hulk is "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." In the case of Mike "The Hulk" Easton, a local fighter from Team Lloyd Irvin in Camp Springs, I'm not sure if Easton is angry when he walks to the Octagon, but he sure has a lot of energy.

Easton, also a D.C. native, ran his UFC record to 2-0 after beating Jared Papazian in a three-round bantamweight war at the UFC's inaugural event on cable channel FX last week. Easton and Papazian went at it nonstop for three rounds, with Easton taking home a unanimous decision victory.

Easton made the rounds prior to his fight against Papazian, including here and here. Easton was aggressive from start to finish and frequently had Papazian on his heels.

Easton is another example of Lloyd Irvin churning out fighters who are ready to compete on the big stage in the UFC, joining fellow UFC fighters like Brandon Vera and the UFC's bantamweight Champion, Dominick Cruz. I tweeted after Easton's fight that Maryland is a fertile breeding ground for fighters who I think can perform under the bright lights of the UFC. While Easton is from our nation's capital and I did not discover him myself, I feel that Easton can become a threat in the 135-pound division.

No comments:

Post a Comment