Sunday, February 22, 2015

From watching it to living it

People pursue martial arts for different reasons. They may not have much interest in organized team sports like football or basketball. They may have stress that they want to work off in a healthy way. For some, martial arts represent a way to boost yourself.

Sijara Eubanks, a flyweight fighter from Team Lloyd Irvin in Camp Springs, started in martial arts as a child, but it was her progression as an adult from kickboxing to Brazilian jiu-jitsu that led her to a contract with Invicta FC. A Springfield, Mass. native, Eubanks was first introduced to mixed martial arts and the UFC as many (including myself) have – by multiple viewings of UFC programming. In this case, UFC Unleashed.

“I thought it was the coolest thing on TV,” Eubanks told me via email. “I would watch hours and hours at a time. So when I started training I never thought I’d compete professionally, but I fell so in love with the sport so I quit my job and started to pursue MMA and jiu-jitsu full time.”

MMA helped Eubanks overcome depression, and she has compiled a 2-0 record as an amateur fighter. While the date of her Invicta debut is still up in the air, her goal is the same as any other fighter – to be world champion. Eubanks credits her management team at SuckerPunch Entertainment for facilitating her deal with Invicta.

“It seems like not that long ago I was just a chubby kid from Springfield, and now I’m signed with the world’s premier women’s MMA promotion,” Eubanks said. “I’m so pumped up about this contract and I cannot wait to make my Invicta debut. I’m going to bring some intense, entertaining fights to the flyweight division.”

No comments:

Post a Comment