Thursday, April 16, 2015

Keeping it close to the vest

Many mixed martial arts fighters would be a bag of nerves before making their pro debut. But it sure doesn’t seem that way with Sijara Eubanks.

Eubanks, who fights with Team Lloyd Irvin in Camp Springs, will make her pro debut at flyweight at Invicta FC 12 on April 24 against Roma Pawelek. Although this is Eubanks’ first professional MMA bout, she’s tailoring her preparation like that of a savvy veteran.

“I'm preparing for her just like I'd prepare for any other opponent,” Eubanks said. “I'm working on all aspects of the game, fine tuning my game plan, keeping my conditioning high. I know she's a grappler, so I'm definitely prepared if the fight goes to the ground.”

Eubanks is also changing up her training, having two to three sessions daily, Monday through Friday, and once daily on Saturday and Sunday. Beyond working on multiple parts of her repertoire and keeping her conditioning up, Eubanks isn’t giving much away.

“I don't want to give away too much of my game plan, so everyone will have to tune into UFC Fight Pass on April 24 to see,” she said.

Despite her reluctance to divulge her strategy, Eubanks is very confident in one area of her skills.

“She's a grappler, I'm a grappler, so I feel like this fight is going to end up on the ground,” she said. “I'm very confident that I'm the better grappler.”
Overall, Eubanks is more eager than anything else to make her pro debut, describing her mindset as “pure excitement.”

“It's crazy; I've been waiting a long time to fight, so I'm pumped,” she said. “Plus, it's my pro debut! So this is really a chance for me to show the world what I'm capable of.”

No comments:

Post a Comment